Wednesday 18 February 2015

The Ferryman Barges In (Episode 19)

From: Sumac’s Other Email Addy
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2014 10:00 p.m.
To: Pine’s backup addy
Subject: New level of weird (Wyrd?)


So I got this email today, and at first I'm like..."why are you sending this to me??"

The email was from Dr. Gil Burton, and it was sent to Bridget Carnegie.

My name didn't appear in the 'to' field, and it didn't appear in the 'cc' field. 

And even if it did, same question: why are you sending this to me????

Dr. Gil Burton has bcc'd me on an email about a couple of questionable line items in the 2009 budget, pretending to ask Bridget about them directly. He even gave her a Wyrd account number to look into.

I've got a sneaking feeling that Dr. Burton wants me to look into it personally, and he doesn't want Bridget to know about my involvement.




-----


From: Pine
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2014 10:23 p.m.
To: Sumac2
Subject: re: New level of weird (Wyrd?)


Actually, it does make sense, him reaching out to you. He's on the Exec Council, even if he doesn't have any voting powers. Maybe he saw your name on the embezzlement investigation you ran on Ishmael. So he knows you're A-OK in the forensic accounting department.

Question is, why keep it secret from Bridget?

What were the line items?

~Pine~

-----


From: Sumac’s Other Email Addy
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2014 10:31 p.m.
To: Pine’s backup addy
Subject: New level of weird (Wyrd?)


Surveillance equipment, trucks, fuel, food, computers, and weapons - everything a team would need during the ramp up for the Wyndham quarantine.

The stuff Dr. Burton is questioning comes to about $250,000. No penny ante stuff there. But it was all approved. I even found the signed receipts to match, with withdrawals from the account Dr. Burton mentioned. Everything above board. In June 2009, the quarter million goes into the account. The quarter million goes out of the account during various, pre-approved purchases, and every receipt down to the lowest Starbucks single order is accounted for by July 12, 2009. So I figured the doctor is out...of his mind.

But then I went looking through the account actions for a full month, and then to three months.

Starting on September 5th, I start seeing cash deposits. Ten thousand here. Fifty thousand there. By October 10th, the account has received $325,000 in cash deposits.

Profit.

I'll need to do more digging, but it looks a lot like someone's buying Wyrd approved equipment with Wyrd approved funds, then turning around and selling all that equipment on the black market. Considering that the purchaser was approved to pick up some high-capacity semi-automatic weapons from the States, I'm not surprised how fast someone could turn a profit on the guns alone.

And if that wasn't enough...

On October 15, 2009, there's a transfer of $250,000. I can't tell who it belongs to, but based on bank, branch and transit numbers, it looks like it's an account in Seattle.

So yeah...looks like another case of embezzlement.


-----


From: Pine
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2014 10:33 p.m.
To: Sumac2
Subject: re: New level of weird (Wyrd?)


Ishmael again?

~Pine~

-----



From: Sumac’s Other Email Addy
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2014 10:37 p.m.
To: Pine’s backup addy
Subject: New level of weird (Wyrd?)



Actually, no. I can't tell who it is, but I know it isn't Ishmael, because I was given all of his account numbers, and this isn't one of them.

I'm locked out of the thing that tells me whose account belongs to which employee ID. Besides, these receipts are all noted "Wyndham", which makes perfect sense to me now. And you say that Ishmael wasn't even aware of Wyndham to begin with.

And get this: there are two more events like that one in 2011, and three more this year.

In April of 2011, the account holder is approved for another $250,000, this time to buy and retrofit new vehicles. In September 2011, another $250,000 for more weapons.

January 2014, $250,000 for a massive networking overhaul. New computers, new servers, hiring an external company to build them - I can just see the angry exclamation point over your head. No wonder you had such an easy time of hacking the archives, hey?

May 2014, $150,000 for travel and bribes to rescue someone out of Myanmar.

June, 2014, $350,000 for a new safehouse in Wyoming.

And the same thing happens every time. Money goes in. Money goes out within a month. Receipts are tendered. Everyone is happy. Three months later, money comes back in, one cash deposit at a time, a profit is made, and a $250,000 transfer is processed to the account in Seattle. The last transfer was at the end of August, just a couple of weeks ago.

That's $1.5M gone. A million and a half bucks of Wyrd money, gone.

You want to know who profits if Ishmael is out of the picture?

My answer? A millionaire does.

I think Dr. Burton is onto something. 

-----


From: Pine
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2014 10:52 p.m.
To: Sumac2
Subject: re: New level of weird (Wyrd?)


Yeah, he's onto something. He's onto you.

Seriously, you think we can trust him? Before you answer...


----

Kill/Capture/Quarantine Report
Case file: EV
Name: Eva Foster, MD
AKA: n/a

Added to kill/capture list: December 30th, 2009
Date of capture: December 30th, 2009

Metrics at time of kill/capture:
Height: 5’5”
Weight: 115 lbs
Age: 47
Sex: female
Location of capture: The Bunker
Occupation: chief medical officer, chief researcher

Infection status: suspected

Wyrd Agent(s) Assigned: Gil Burton, PhD
Additional assistance: n/a
Status: Successful capture. Interned in quarantine.

Suspected Vector(s):
1) The Padre

Capture notes:

Padre warned he felt a false start coming on. Foster entered quarantine in full biohazard gear to administrate tranquillizers. Padre had his false start and began to transform. Change pheromones flooded the holding cell, triggering the change in three more patients. One blocked the door, preventing Foster’s escape. Padre tore through Foster’s biohazard suit. Foster was injured.

Because it is too soon for the infection to incubate, Foster has volunteered to remain in quarantine with the patients indefinitely.

Other notes:
Get us a bigger quarantine or they’ll kill each other, and Foster with them.

Signed:


Gil Burton, PhD

-----

So, he's been in on quarantine this whole time, which means he's also kept it a secret from Ishmael.

~Pine~



-----



From: Sumac’s Other Email Addy
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2014 11:20 p.m.
To: Pine’s backup addy
Subject: New level of weird (Wyrd?)


I don't know. 

But I do know we're definitely into dangerous waters, because as soon as I hit send that last time, my phone started ringing again.


-----


From: Pine
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2014 11:23 p.m.
To: Sumac2
Subject: re: New level of weird (Wyrd?)


Keep a log of the calls. Get right down to the minute and second, if you can.


-----


From: Sumac’s Other Email Addy
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2014 11:24 p.m.
To: Pine’s backup addy
Subject: New level of weird (Wyrd?)


I have been, ever since the first night of calls. I'll send you the list of times and dates.

I don't see how it's going to help, though. The number only comes up as blocked.


-----


From: Pine
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2014 11:26 p.m.
To: Sumac2
Subject: re: New level of weird (Wyrd?)


I'm going to cross-reference your calls against the call logs from Angie Burley's office.


-----


From: Sumac’s Other Email Addy
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2014 11:27 p.m.
To: Pine’s backup addy
Subject: New level of weird (Wyrd?)


Angie Burley? What the hell for?

-----


From: Pine
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2014 11:28 p.m.
To: Sumac2
Subject: re: New level of weird (Wyrd?)


Same question we've been asking ourselves: who benefits?

If Ishmael is being framed, someone must have a reason for doing it. So far, I see only one person who is getting any benefit out of Ishmael's incarceration: the person who can now take over his role permanently. Our Chief Field Operations Manager, Angie Burley.


-----


From: Sumac’s Other Email Addy
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2014 11:34 p.m.
To: Pine’s backup addy
Subject: New level of weird (Wyrd?)


Well, okay, but that doesn't explain why Gil Burton would trust me to look into this account.

Unless he knows that Angie is spying on me, and he's hoping that she'll catch me looking into the case?

God, I wish they would stop calling me, though! It's getting so I can't hear myself think!

Never mind. I'm unplugging the phone.


-----


From: Pine
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2014 12:28 a.m.
To: Sumac2
Subject: re: New level of weird (Wyrd?)


Well, there are two things I can say.

One, they call you, and then they immediately call me.

Two, the call logs don't line up with either Angie Burley's office number or her cell.

What I want to know is how they found out home phone numbers!!! That, and where can I find this guy so I can hang him in a meat locker and stab him for every call he's placed.




-----


From: Ferryman
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2014 12:29 a.m.
To: Sumac, Sumac’s Other Email Addy, Pine, Pine’s backup addy
Subject: No meat lockers.


Meat lockers are too public, too cold, and too difficult to clean. 

Besides, for all my powers of regeneration, I hate the sight of my own blood.

Now, would either of you kindly pick up the blasted telephone so I can initiate 3-way calling?








No comments:

Post a Comment

Our specially trained sniffer dogs will scan your comment to ensure that it was submitted by a humanoid and not by a robot, ghoul, troll, or wendigo. Please standby.