Friday 6 March 2015

Bonewalkers (Episode 26)

From: Sumac’s Other Email Addy
Sent: Sunday, October 5, 2014 5:58 a.m.
To: Anders, Chloe
Subject: We need you stat


Pine called me. She’s being attacked right now. Phone is damaged. Last known location, Ontario, probably on the T-Can. Cross-referencing against MTO database for accidents. There were at least three accidents that I overheard on the phone. Police responded while I was on the call. Trying to get info on OPP calls to multiple car accident, no luck. Need help urgently. Need a live body to get her out of trouble.


-----


SousaPhony: Anything yet?

PieterPyper: At what time you said?

SousaPhony: about 4:38 a.m.

PieterPyper: What time zone?

SousaPhony: I’d have to know where she is, damn it!

PieterPyper: Got a single vehicle accident east of Thunder Bay at 5:00 a.m., multiple vehicle accident at Wawa at 4:38, multiple vehicle accident at Ignace at 3:00 a.m.

SousaPhony: Cross-reference with police reports.

PieterPyper: All of them have police reports.

SousaPhony: Cross-reference with the report of a police no response.

PieterPyper: What do you mean?

SousaPhony: I mean I think police went to the accident site and never reported in afterward. Like they went there and then disappeared off the face of the earth.

PieterPyper: What the hell, man?

PieterPyper: What’s this about?

SousaPhony: Just trust me.

PieterPyper: Okay, I’m not seeing anything like that yet. Give me twenty minutes. I’ll get right back to you. But on one condition.

SousaPhony: What?

PieterPyper: You tell me what this is about. Are you going all alien-conspiracy theory on me now?

SousaPhony: We’ll talk. I swear. Even if it means recruiting you myself.



-----


Transcribed call from Sumac’s private prepaid cell phone


Woman: Janet Allen speaking, how can I help you?

Sumac: Hey, Sousa Sourianian here. You remember me at all?

Woman: Uh…Oh! From Omnispectrus? Yeah, you came and reworked our payroll. Sure, I remember you. We still owe you a bottle of Lagavulin for finding that “phantom” employee, who’s been pulling down a $75,000 / year salary without actually existing.

Sumac: Hey, I’m here to help. But listen, I have a favour to ask.

Woman: Okay.

Sumac: Fairly urgent, too.

<call waiting indication>

Sumac: Uh…sorry. <quietly> Shit.

Woman: What kind of favour?

Sumac: Is there any way I uh…Shit. Could I rent a plane from you guys?

Woman: Well…that’s…not something we do usually.

Sumac: I need some aerial photographs of an area somewhere between Cochrane and Timmins Ontario.

Woman: Well, we typically operate around the Thunder Bay area only…How soon do you need it?

Sumac: ASAP. See…my boss was taking a flight from Winnipeg to Toronto, and we lost contact with his plane.

Woman: Oh my God!

Sumac: I know. We’re all freaking out right now.

<call waiting indication>

Woman: And you think his plane went down?

Sumac: Yeah, sometime around 4:30, 5:00 this morning. Listen - 

Woman: Oh my God! I hope everyone’s okay!

Sumac: That’s what we need a plane to confirm.

Woman: Okay. Okay. Um…There’s a prospecting company we work with in Timmins. Let me give them a call and get right back to you. Are you looking to go with them?

Sumac: Preferably.

Woman: I’ll see what I can do. Can you get to Timmins in a hurry, if it’s a yes?

Sumac: I’ll find a way.

Woman: Okay, they don’t open until about 10:00. I’ll keep trying until I get through to them. If that doesn’t work, I’ll see if we can get in touch with any S&R planes that might already be deployed.

<call waiting indication>

Sumac: Sounds like a plan. Listen, do you have my number?

Woman: On call display right now. I’m writing it down. God, I hope your boss is okay.

Sumac: Yeah, we’re all pretty frantic right now. Thanks Janet.

Woman: Um – wait…uh…I hate to bring this up, especially at a time like this, but...a charter might cost a little…

Sumac: Don’t care. We’ll expense it. I don’t care how much it costs. I need to find – Anyhow, whatever the cost. We’ll cover it.

Woman: Fair enough. I’ll give you a call back as soon as possible. If you don’t hear back from me in three hours, call me directly.

Sumac: Thanks Janet.



-----



Voicemail on Sumac's private prepaid cellphone

Pine: Su…

<wind blowing>

Pine: <whimpering>

<car passing>

Pine: <unintelligible> God…I can’t…<unintelligible>

<car passing>

Pine: He…put me…unner…uh…in-sigh…cull…cull…unner the…row…road.

<water trickling>

Pine: Took…my…face…broke teeth…<sobbing> Thinks…I’m dead…

<car passing>

Pine: I saw them, Su…<sobbing> I saw so…muh…many…Ow! Ow…ow…ow…<sobbing> I’m sorry, Su. I’m so sorry. I’m sorry I brought you into this…I’m sorry for everyth…<whimpering> I just…<unintelligible>

<car passing, wind blowing, water trickling>

Pine: <unintelligible>

<truck reefer noise>

Pine: The…bonewalkers…he called them…bone…walk

<end of message>






No comments:

Post a Comment

Our specially trained sniffer dogs will scan your comment to ensure that it was submitted by a humanoid and not by a robot, ghoul, troll, or wendigo. Please standby.