Wednesday 3 December 2014

The Farm (Episode 3)

Sent: Fri 2014-09-05 @ 6:30 PM
From: Sumac's Other Email Address
To: Pine's Back-up Email Address
Subject: The Farm

You’re a bad influence.

There are 8 budgets Wyrd manages. I look after 4 of them. Transportation, technology, relocation, & Varco Lake maintanance. The other 4 budgets are looked after by a Wyrd Exec Council member, & there all password protected.

Here’s what I found.

I pulled a report on transpo costs. I already knew that in 2009 we had expensed >4x what we normally do for fuel and maintanance. We also bought 8 new trucks & spent $45k+ retrofitting them. I’m guessing those are used to bring all these people to this quarantine. Line by line, it's all penny ante stuff until you add it up and see almost half a million bucks suddenly gone. In 2010 and 2011, same huge expense. Fewer new trucks though.

But I cant find anything to say where people were going. All the transpo logs are password protected. I was able to get in to them a couple of months ago. I don’t know if it’s because of Ishmael’s 90-day password expiry policy or what. But it’s weird that I cant get in now.

Anyhow, figured I could claim that there was a huge discrepancy between car parts actual and car parts budgeted, and use it as an excuse to dig for clues as to where people were taking these vehicles. Maybe get a fix on your quarantine. Hell, if you get “promoted” unexpectedly, at least I’ll know where to look for you.

So I asked my boss if I could get someone on Varco Lake to do an audit of all the car parts we have left. Based on what I was seeing, we were ordering six times as many car parts as we were using in repairs, so it looked like someone was teefing those parts. Boss said he’d call up Varco Lake and see what we could do. So he does. Gets in touch with Burley.

Burley told us she didn’t have anybody to spare at Varco Lake. Boss told her it was important because I thought one of the new were’s was stealing parts and selling them at Varco Valley Station to make a quick buck. Then I asked her if she could make a special allowance for me to drive up from Winnipeg to Varco Lake to do the audit myself…and she said yes.

So I go up there and I take an inventory. I’m up in the store room for like three hours taking a count and looking for any information I can find, like travel logs or maps with highlighted roads or something.

Right around four this afternoon, I start to hear voices downstairs in the repair bay, so I kinda stick my head out of the door, and what do I see but Bridget herself??? And who’s she talking to? Of all the people in the world? Gil Burton!!!

You remember Gil? I heard it’s because of Ishmael that Gil’s stuck at Varco Lake. Gil’s not doing well these days. He’s lost a lot of weight.

Anyhow, I can’t hear much, but I do keep hearing Bridget say the same thing over and over again: “But I don’t know what he’s done. We can take him to the Farm until we find out.”

So now I think what is this Farm???

I started to wonder if that’s the code name for the quarantine.

And that got me wondering…why do have a code name for a quarantine??? Why are we keeping it a secret??? And from who??

So maybe you are onto something, I don’t know. Maybe they don’t want to mention the quarantine so us human plebes don’t get scared that we’ll end up there ourselves.

Damn. I wonder if Sprucey knew about the quarantine before they took him in.

Give me a few days to find out more about the Farm.

Just be careful. If quarantine is being kept secret, it’s being kept a secret for a reason.

Sumac



Interesting.
And baby makes two.
You didn’t answer my question.
I never answer a thorny question until I’ve given it due thought.
And due thought requires time, patience, a vast intellect, and extraordinary powers of recall.
But do remind me: to which question have I not yet replied?
Do we engage?
If they dig too deeply, they’ll hit something hotter than bedrock.
They already know too much, Jewell.
This can only end badly.
We need to put an end to it. Now. Before it gets out of hand.

Jewell is typing…











No comments:

Post a Comment

Our specially trained sniffer dogs will scan your comment to ensure that it was submitted by a humanoid and not by a robot, ghoul, troll, or wendigo. Please standby.